Jersey

North Star Dogs who found their Fur-Ever homes!

Jersey

Postby Toni » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:34 pm

Jersey2.JPG
Jersey2.JPG (106.73 KiB) Viewed 12481 times

Jersey is a purebred Border Collie born April 6, 2011. This beautiful, sweet girl has been with NSBCR for several months learning how to trust and not to be afraid of people. She came to us on November 10, 2011 from rural Indiana where she lived the first seven months of her life outdoors with many other dogs and little human contact. She is a special needs dog because she is shy and fearful of people and new situation.

Anyone interested in adopting Jersey must be an experienced BC owner and have experience with shy, fearful dogs. She needs much patience from her people during this time as she avoids scary situations and will hide or prefers to stay outside away from people. It will be necessary she have a physical fence around her yard for safety. Also, she will need a crate inside her house for the same reasons. Sometimes it’s hard to observe her acting in these manners but, having extra patience and understanding will pay off when she gains the necessary confidence to win the private battles she has with shyness and fearfulness in everyday situations. The first time she showed happiness and excitement when I walked into the room was awesome! To see her doggy “smile” and to see her ears stand up while she’s just hanging out brought great joy.
It’s taken about three months for her to act like a confident, happy dog at my house most of the time. I have three other dogs that I feel helped to show her it’s okay to participate in playing, accepting treats or going for rides in the car.

She still has a way to go as she is uncomfortable whenever someone comes over to our house and she never is really thrilled to go in the car. But, she is full of love and has learned she can approach us for affection and attention. She loves to give kisses! With the right family she will make a wonderful companion dog. Please inquire about adopting her if you feel you can meet her needs to help her overcome her shyness and fearfulness. We at NSBCR feel the right family to help Jersey will be one that has BC experience, will be home with her most of the day, has no children, has a physical fence around the yard and has a large enough crate for her inside the house. She will benefit from another dog around the house and does not have problems living with cats. Jersey is up to date with all of her shots, and heartworm medication. She has been spayed and has a microchip.

If you are interested in adopting Jersey you must apply and be approved first. You can find our online application at: http://www.northstarbcrescue.org. If you have any questions please contact her foster mom at: Deborah@northstarbcrescue.org

Jersey is being fostered near Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Jersey4.JPG
Jersey4.JPG (126.67 KiB) Viewed 12478 times

Jersey1.JPG
Jersey1.JPG (116.97 KiB) Viewed 12475 times

Jersey5.JPG
Jersey5.JPG (118.64 KiB) Viewed 12475 times
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Jersey - young female Border Collie

Postby Toni » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:39 pm

Jersey3.JPG
Jersey3.JPG (92.72 KiB) Viewed 12475 times
Jersey6.JPG
Jersey6.JPG (113.25 KiB) Viewed 12475 times
Jersey_sm2012-01-04_1.JPG
Jersey_sm2012-01-04_1.JPG (268.68 KiB) Viewed 12475 times
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Jersey - young female Border Collie

Postby Toni » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:00 pm

This beautiful one year old purebred BC, has been at our house for about six months. We continue to work on her confidence building and it seems this has helped as she appears more outgoing and happy being a dog. It just goes to show that if you give a shy, fearful dog the extra time to adjust and have extra patience and understanding, they can become a fine, loving pet. We never forced her to do anything or put her in a situation for which she was not ready to handle without being stressed.

Jersey has lived with other dogs her whole life. She loves being with my three dogs and I’m convinced they helped to teach her it’s okay to trust people. Therefore her forever home should have another dog (preferably a confident male) to be her canine buddy.

Normally it’s just my husband and I who are at home all day and we live in a quiet setting in the country. Over Memorial weekend it was just the opposite. We had family coming and going whom Jersey had not met before. At first she stayed to herself for about a day and then, there she was right with us amid all of our activities. She even made friends with our daughter’s giant Great Dane!

I’m pretty sure she will continue to need extra patience, understanding and help with socialization from her new forever friend. Also, she will probably have some sort of behavior setback in her new home and that is why we want someone with BC experience and experience owning a shy and fearful dog to adopt her. But, she is full of love and has learned she can approach us for affection and attention. She loves to give kisses! With the right family she will make a wonderful companion dog. She will require a physical fence for her yard and crate for her house as she prefers to eat and sleep in her crate feeling safe and secure, I’m sure.

Jersey has been brought up to date on her vaccines, heartworm preventive and has been neutered and microchipped. If you are interested in adopting Jersey you must apply and be approved first. You can find our online application at: http://www.northstarbcrescue.org.

If you have any questions, please contact Debbie at: Deborah@northstarbcrescue.org

Jersey is being fostered near Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Jersey - ADOPTION PENDING!

Postby Toni » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 pm

Adopted August 9, 2012 :D
Toni
Site Admin

Return to Happy Tails!