Maven

North Star Dogs who found their Fur-Ever homes!

Maven

Postby Toni » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:27 am

IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG (210.8 KiB) Viewed 14545 times

Well…they say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery so Miss Maven was just trying to join the crowd of Border Collies here at the farm! ;)

When she showed up in the neighbor’s yard they promptly called us thinking one of our black and white Border Collies had gotten out. As you can see by her pictures, she may be black and white, but probably not Border Collie. We contacted all the right places hoping her owners would be looking for her but no one has come for her. With no microchip and no collar, we have decided to help her find her forever home hopefully with a family that will love and cherish her forever.

Maven is estimated to be between 12 and 16 months, weighs about 40 pounds, and is just as friendly and sweet as she can be. We are guessing she is maybe an English Springer Spaniel and Golden Retriever mix. She loves to play although doesn’t understand to bring the ball back after she catches it (hmmmm, maybe she failed retrieving/bird dog 101). She needs work on walking on a leash but learned to sit for a treat very fast so should be easy to teach a lot of fun things. She was playing very nicely with the neighbor’s children but can be a little mouthy when excited so probably should go to a home with older children or teens.

She gets along well with other dogs and was recently spayed as well as being brought up to date on all her vaccinations. She has been microchipped and is current on heartworm and flea/tick preventatives.

We will be taking applications for this girl through the rescue so please fill out an application at http://www.northstarbcrescue.org or contact her foster mom for more information at PaulaH@northstarbcrescue.org.

Maven is being fostered near Muncie, Indiana.
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Maven - young female English Springer Spaniel mix

Postby beth panwitz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:33 pm

IMG_3537rev.jpg
IMG_3537rev.jpg (40.82 KiB) Viewed 14506 times
IMG_3513rev.jpg
IMG_3513rev.jpg (52.06 KiB) Viewed 14506 times
IMG_3516rev.jpg
IMG_3516rev.jpg (48.67 KiB) Viewed 14506 times
beth panwitz

Re: Maven - ADOPTION PENDING! :-)

Postby Toni » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Adopted October 8, 2011 :D
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Maven

Postby PaulaH » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:01 am

We received this cute letter from Maven yesterday and it sounds like she has hit the jackpot and is loving her new life. So happy that we could help this little "border collie that wasn't" :)

Dear Paula;
Thought I'd let you know since the day I became Pepper's substitute there has been much going on in my life. I went to the farm and met four horses which accepted me very well. Neighbor's dog Jewels and I played almost every day in the back yard and have been hell on toys inside the house!!

When Sonnie rode her horse, I sometimes ran with them; Champ didn't seem to mind since I didn't chase or get too close. While still in Indy, nights was spent in a very nice crate which was always dry in the morning.

We went on a long ride in the truck and stayed two nights in a nice bedroom in which I slept on a very good pad, although some times I did slip in bed with Sonnie. At the end of the long ride we arrived at my winter home---nice and warm 80 degrees plus. Sometimes I just lie in the sun and soak up the heat. We have been going to the dog park down here just like we did up north. Earl takes me on a bicycle run daily and I'm getting used to staying along side without pulling to the left away from the bike. There were many toys down here, too! Many have squeekers that I can make noise with for minutes at a time. I still have that sleeping pad--no crate--but some of the time I sleep under the bed; Pepper liked to do that, also. I don't wake them up to go outside--content to be still until Earl puts me in the yard on my cable.

Sonnie says she has never seen a dog have as much fun as I do playing alone with toys, but I realllly like it. Haven't been in the boat yet, but they say that is yet to come. SOOO sorry you girls have to be up north with the snow balls while I'm sweeping the sidewalks trying to clear the sunshine. Thank you for finding a good home for me.

Your friend, Maven Happy Thanksgiving

Earl & Sonnie said to say, "Hi".
Attachments
mave doing kitchen duty 002.JPG
mave doing kitchen duty 002.JPG (87.66 KiB) Viewed 14276 times
mave doing kitchen duty 001.JPG
mave doing kitchen duty 001.JPG (104.37 KiB) Viewed 14276 times
PaulaH

MAVEN

Postby beth panwitz » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:21 pm

Paula;
Not quite a year yet, but thought I would update you on this terrible dog. She has been doing agility, progressing nicely until my wife had a fall from a horse while in Fla. this winter. Maven was learning weave poles with guides I made from plastic strips. She brings in the morning paper every day, loves to go to the dog park where she had a special friend that chased and rolled until totally tired which was followed by a romp in a kiddie pool--they would lie side by side and cool off. Since coming back to Indy, she now closes the door after coming into the house. At first it took treats held high on door to get her to put feet up and push. We leave the garage door slightly ajar and she comes in by pushing open with her nose; we tell her to "close the door" and she puts her paws up high and makes it slam--then gets her treat back in the kitchen.
It's been too hot for much play in the woods, but Sonnie has taken neighbor dog, Jewels & Maven on some walks--no leash--just her training collar to tone her in case she gets out of sight chasing squirrel or deer. YES, she is not Pepper but oh so good. We think she might be smarter than Pepper because speed of catching on to tasks. NO, you may not have her back. To your good health and wealth----Earl & Sonnie

Sparky is Sonnie's new Spotted Saddle horse

sparky's-intro-005REV.jpg
sparky's-intro-005REV.jpg (57.42 KiB) Viewed 13951 times
sparky's-intro-006REV.jpg
sparky's-intro-006REV.jpg (54.44 KiB) Viewed 13951 times
beth panwitz

Return to Happy Tails!