Sawyer

North Star Dogs who found their Fur-Ever homes!

Sawyer

Postby Toni » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:29 am

Sawyer2011-05-29.JPG
Sawyer2011-05-29.JPG (231.01 KiB) Viewed 21438 times

Sawyer is a two year old male Border Collie/Shetland Sheepdog mix that came to North Star as an owner surrender. He is wonderful in the house, loves to be right next to you every minute, is crate trained, gets along fine with my cats and female dogs....but might do best in a home without male dogs. He has not been neutered yet, so maybe that will change after he has surgery. He is current on all his vaccinations and on heartworm and flea/tick prevenetative.

When Sawyer came to North Star, he was having trouble with his right hind leg. Unfortunately, when we took him to the vet it was discovered he had a torn anterior cruciate ligament. :( Sawyer just had surgery June 9, 2011 and so far is doing well. Please keep him in your prayers for a complete and speedy recovery.

Please watch for updates on his progress and if you have any questions you can contact his foster mom at Toni@northstarbcrescue.org.

Sawyer is being fostered near Kalamazoo, Michigan.

If you could spare a few dollars to help towards Sawyer's surgery we would be very grateful. You can donate through Paypal by going here: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI633.html or you can mail it to:

NSBCR
PO Box 401
Otsego, MI 49078
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Sawyer - Sheltie/Border Collie mix *NOT READY FOR ADOPTI

Postby Toni » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Sawyer2011-06-11_2.JPG
Sawyer2011-06-11_2.JPG (389.07 KiB) Viewed 21265 times
Sawyer is healing nicely from his ACL surgery and has been an absolutely stellar patient! Even when he had to wear that awful cone and had to be crated and could only go out for leash walks...he stayed cheerful and happy. I am sure the reason he is doing so well is because of his wonderful attitude and good behavior.

He now has his cast off and we have started doing longer walks on leash and he is beginning to use the leg more. Unfortunately the surgery was not able to be performed laproscopically, so his recovery time will take longer. But if he continues the way he has been doing so far I am sure he will do fine.

Sawyer still is not ready for adoption at this time, but watch his webpage for updates viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2134 if you are interested. This boy is going to make someone an awesome companion.

If you have any questions, please email his foster mom at Toni@northstarbcrescue.org.

If you could make a donation to help with Sawyer's vetting expenses, North Star wold be very grateful. You can donate here: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/MI633.html.
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Sawyer - Sheltie/Border Collie mix

Postby Toni » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:52 am

Sawyer2011-07-17_2.JPG
Sawyer2011-07-17_2.JPG (161.26 KiB) Viewed 20838 times

It has now been five weeks since Sawyer had his ACL surgery and he is coming along nicely. When he first came to North Star he would not use his leg at all, and now he is beginning to put weight on it while standing and also when he walks. However he knows that if he wants to go fast, it is easier just to hold it in the air. He still does not get to play with the other dogs outside (he can be off leash as long as it is just him and I) but he is being allowed a little more freedom to play inside the house with the others.

I will be taking him in for a re-check of his leg this coming week and we will see what the vet has to say. His last appointment showed full range of motion and so now it is just a matter of building the muscle back up slowly. Since the surgery could not be done laproscopically the recovery is going to take longer, but so far so good.

We put off having him neutered until after his ACL surgery healed. But I am sure he is ready now and we will schedule him soon.

He LOVES his people, has a fantastic recall, is good with cats, and is one of the most sweet and gentle dogs you will find. I think he would be happiest with female dogs....but he would make a great "only" dog too. He is going to make someone a wonderful companion.
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Sawyer - ADOPTION PENDING :-)

Postby Toni » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:11 am

Sawyers fam2011-09-16.JPG
Sawyers fam2011-09-16.JPG (286.61 KiB) Viewed 20781 times

Sawyer with his new family....Karli, Shari, Jordan and little Jayde.

Adopted September 16, 2011 :D
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Sawyer - ADOPTION PENDING :-)

Postby Toni » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:10 am

Here is a very nice update from Sawyer's new family. It sounds like he is loving his new home and settling in nicely. :D

Well...it's been a few days and thought I'd get you an update. Sawyer is settling in, Gracie the Jack has showed him the ropes on chasing squirrels and chipmunks, as well as how to open a mole tunnel to sniff inside the tunnel. The girl I was most worried about has turned out to be his best friend, although he is quite jealous she does not have to be on a leash in the woods! :0)

Sawyer is an absolute gentleman, lays down to play with the smaller dogs, respects their space. Occasionally he likes to herd them and they don't really find the fun in it but it sure makes me laugh!

Everyone Sawyer meets falls in love with him! We have been on 2 short car rides, he looked a bit worried but I'm sure that will pass soon enough. Interestingly enough, he does not like bon-fires....keeps a very safe distance.

He really does pick up on commands quickly and I just LOVE him soooo much. He really has become my "mama's boy". He is allowed on the bed, but it took a bit....he looked at me the 1st time like....." are you sure? I don't think I'm supposed to be doing this." The rest of the family adores him, but I must admit, I steal all the time I can with him.

I thank you so much for taking this boy in, getting him happy and healthy, and waiting for me to realize I needed to find him!

Shari
Toni
Site Admin

Return to Happy Tails!