Cowboy

North Star Dogs who found their Fur-Ever homes!

Cowboy

Postby Tammy D » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:54 pm

IMG_5298.JPG
IMG_5298.JPG (102.96 KiB) Viewed 26616 times

Cowboy is a pure bred Australian Shepard, we estimate to be about a year old. He came to North Star from a shelter in Kentucky in February. We don’t believe Cowboy was socialized as a young puppy and never lived in a house, so he has been busy the last four months learning all about people and what it is like being in a house with them. He is still skittish at times and gets scared easily, but we have seen progress over the past months and with the right forever home I feel he will continue to progress given the time and understanding he needs.

Cowboy’s first pictures show him with a big fluffy puppy coat. He has since blown that look for a more sleek adult coat. His new coat is glossy black with a little wavy to it. Being the Aussie that he is I am sure he will have a very full coat by the time he hits two years.

Cowboy gets along great with our two Border collie girls, really LOVES to play and run zoomies around the back yard. He can be vocal at times, wanting everyone to know when he thinks it is time to play :D . Cowboy loves to run in the rain, and he is lightening quick! This boy definitely requires a fenced yard.

Cowboy can still be leery of his crate, but he does eat all his meals there. He sleeps quietly through the night in his crate too. We do not crate him during the day if no one is home as he is trustworthy during those times, but it is never more than four or five hours at a time. Cowboy rides quietly in the car and is learning to enjoy going for an occasionally ride. This week Cowboy and I will start working with a trainer to help build his confidence and make him feel more secure in the world around him. I will update how he progresses in the next couple of weeks. Cowboy will not go to a home with children, as I think it would just be too much for this soft boy.

I think with the right forever home is one willing to continue to build Cowboy’s confidence and show him the world is a great place. If given the chance he will be a great friend and a true companion. Working with a timid, scared dog does take time, patience and understanding, but I truly feel that Cowboy is well worth the effort.

If you would like more information on Cowboy, you can email me at Tammy@northstarbcrescue.org.

To adopt Cowboy you would need to apply and be approved first. You can find our online application at http://www.northstarbcrescue.org. Cowboy has been neutered, microchipped, is current on all his shots and vetting, and is on heartworm preventative and flea/tick preventative.

Cowboy is being fostered near Grand Rapids, Michigan.
Attachments
IMG_5333.JPG
IMG_5333.JPG (163.21 KiB) Viewed 26616 times
Tammy D

Re: Cowboy - VERY sensitive purebred male Aussie

Postby Toni » Sun May 22, 2011 11:09 pm

More pictures of Cowboy...
Attachments
Cowboy3.JPG
Cowboy3.JPG (169.17 KiB) Viewed 26822 times
Cowboy2.JPG
Cowboy2.JPG (178.62 KiB) Viewed 26822 times
Cowboy4.JPG
Cowboy4.JPG (189.59 KiB) Viewed 26822 times
Cowboy1.JPG
Cowboy1.JPG (166.18 KiB) Viewed 26822 times
Toni
Site Admin

Postby Tammy D » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:25 pm

Cowboy2011-07-30_8.JPG
Cowboy2011-07-30_8.JPG (257.24 KiB) Viewed 26427 times

Cowboy continues to do well, we have seen so much improvement since he has come to stay with us. Our family went on vacation last week, so Cowboy packed his doggie bed, his leash and his favorite food for a stay with one of the other foster moms. He did great with all her dogs, although he was a little too interested in the resident cats.

Cowboy is very playful and while visiting he did his very best to play with anyone and everyone :D During his stay he even learned to use the doggie door. All these new experiences help to build his confidence and make him a more secure boy. His resident sister Borders were excited when he came back home. Cowboy is a very lovable boy that is looking for his perfect forever home.

if you would like more information on Cowboy, you can email me at Tammy@northstarbcrescue.org.

To adopt Cowboy you would need to apply and be approved first. You can find our online application at http://www.northstarbcrescue.org. Cowboy has been neutered, microchipped, is current on all his shots and vetting, and is on heartworm preventative and flea/tick preventative.

Attachments
Cowboy2011-07-30_10.JPG
Cowboy2011-07-30_10.JPG (232.34 KiB) Viewed 26427 times
Tammy D

Postby Toni » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:32 pm

More photos.....
Attachments
Cowboy2011-07-30.JPG
Cowboy2011-07-30.JPG (278.33 KiB) Viewed 26427 times
Cowboy2011-07-30_4 - Copy.JPG
Cowboy2011-07-30_4 - Copy.JPG (169.13 KiB) Viewed 26427 times
Toni
Site Admin

Re: Cowboy

Postby Tammy D » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Well it is a red letter day for Cowboy and his foster family today! Since he has gotten used to being brushed on a regular basis, I think he has actually come to enjoy it. Trimming Cowboy's nails and hair on his paws was another subject. Today after his brushing he was relaxed enough that he let me trim his paws and cut his nails - he was great about the whole thing :D . After Cowboy's grooming, he wanted to go show off his shiny coat and trimmed paws, so we went on his first shopping trip to Petsmart. This boy walked right up to the sliding glass doors and into the store like he has been doing this all his life. He walked around the store with his big sister Rainy, with no stress about the situation at all. This is a BIG step for this boy, as six months ago he was fearful of just about everything. He has come such a long ways since coming to our home. Progress with fearful dogs can be slow, but it so rewarding as they gain confidence. He continues to have private lessons with a local trainer and we see progress there too. Cowboy is just an awesome guy looking for an awesome family to love and accept him ;) .

Cowboy will require a physical fence at his new home. If you would like more information on Cowboy, you can email me at Tammy@northstarbcrescue.org.

Tammy D

Re: Cowboy - Pure Bred Aussie

Postby Tammy D » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:53 pm

IMG_6062.jpg
IMG_6062.jpg (59.96 KiB) Viewed 26194 times

Hey everyone - Cowboy here. I know most of you think of me as a shy reserved kind of boy, but I had such a good weekend I wanted to tell everyone all about it. My foster mom says "I am coming out of my shell", whatever that means, but I think it is a good thing :). I went on a long weekend with my foster family to a place in northern Michigan, it had a lot of trees and some very interesting animals; it was all new to me. The ride to get there was kind of long, three hours each way, but foster mom said I traveled like a trooper. We spent a lot of time playing outside, going for walks in the woods and just hanging out. I had to stay right by my foster parents because there was not a fenced area for me, but I think I did pretty good. They only had to remind me a couple times "not to wander". Every time my foster parents call my name, I come running and some times I even get a treat - pretty cool huh. One afternoon I got really excited because I saw some wild turkeys for the first time. Foster dad said I couldn't go after them, so I just stood real still and watched them. There's a new picture of Rainy, Carmel and me racing down the trail in the woods. I don't like to brag, but I am pretty fast and could beat those girls every time we raced :D.

If you are looking for a special kind of guy to hang out with - I may be the one. Just remember I can't live with kids, because I would be too scared and I have to have a fenced yard to keep me safe. Email my foster mom and she can give you all the details.

If you would like more information on Cowboy, you can email me at Tammy@northstarbcrescue.org.

Attachments
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG (225.85 KiB) Viewed 26194 times
IMG_6044.JPG
IMG_6044.JPG (131.33 KiB) Viewed 26194 times
Tammy D

Re: Cowboy - Adoption Pending :-)

Postby Toni » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:38 pm

Cowboy was adopted October 5, 2011 :D
Toni
Site Admin

Postby Tammy D » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi Tammy,

I hope everything is going well with you and your family. I see that you have a nice looking border collie Dice. I really should quit looking at the site cause I want to take them all...lol. Anyways I wanted to let you know that John won and we now have 3 dogs, Champ, Cowboy and Lynx. It took quite a while for Cowboy to warm up to Lynx and now they are best friends. Champ however isn't a fan of Lynx and just tolerates him. All in all everything is going good with them.

Cowboy has a vet appointment for his shots and he is going to get groomed while we are there. I'm going to be there while it is done so we'll see how it goes. He has come a long way and for the most part the only thing that really sets him off is light refractions. I think that is the reason he looks up. He hates flashlights and if the sun sends a reflection on the wall or ceiling he is on it. I need to find a way to get him use to this common occurance. I thought about getting a night light that projects something on the ceiling and letting him deal with it over time. I'm surprised at how well he is dealing with the construction in the house right now. We have our new kitchen cupboards setting around and we are re-wiring and doing drywall and he's fine with it...Yay!!

John and I are so glad we adopted Cowboy. We just love him so much and he is a hoot. He loves teases us and we love giving it right back to him. He's a happy boy.

Geneva
Tammy D

Postby Toni » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

An awesome update from Cowboy's family......

Hi Tammy

It's been too long since I've sent pictures of the boys. They are all doing well. Cowboy is in his spot in the house looking out the front window right now. There is a lot of exciting stuff happening out there. We get a lot of bike riders (motorcycle and pedal) and they love rushing down the stairs and out to the yard to let them know they are here. All three of them have been overly spunking lately since the weather has turned cooler. Most of the summer they enjoyed the central air especially after going outside and tearing around for a while. John needs to run plumbing down to the end of the house so I can fill a kiddy pool next year and run a sprinkler. I know the dogs will love that. Cowboy is getting a lot better riding in the car and the last visit to the vet it didn't seem to bother him that the windows were down. He is greeting people better too. John's brother came over and Cowboy had to jump on him and stretch like he does John and I. I was pleasantly surprised. His quirky behavior gets less and less all the time. Instead of freaking out about new things he's just verbal and curious to find out what we are bringing home now. Life here is great.

I did have to take Cowboy to the vet cause he was itching due to an allergy and with a shot he's fine. He's healthy and active and one of the best dogs we've ever had.

I hope all is well with you and your family and looking forward to hearing from you.

John and Geneva
Attachments
015 (800x600).jpg
015 (800x600).jpg (254.67 KiB) Viewed 25178 times
019 (600x800).jpg
019 (600x800).jpg (356.15 KiB) Viewed 25178 times
023 (800x600).jpg
023 (800x600).jpg (390.41 KiB) Viewed 25178 times
026 (800x600).jpg
026 (800x600).jpg (299.23 KiB) Viewed 25178 times
028 (800x600).jpg
028 (800x600).jpg (289.94 KiB) Viewed 25178 times