Devlin

North Star Dogs who found their Fur-Ever homes!

Devlin

Postby Carole » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:22 am

12-30-10 037.JPG
12-30-10 037.JPG (108 KiB) Viewed 23792 times
12-30-10 076.JPG
12-30-10 076.JPG (105.31 KiB) Viewed 23792 times

Devlin is 5 weeks old and from Katie's litter. He is a quiet boy that loves attention from people. Devlins favorite toy so far is a cat ball that he hits and chases around the x-pen. Devlin wasn't thrilled with being out in the snow, took him a bit to start exploring the new world he was in. When new things are introduced he tends to check them out instead of charging head on like some of his littermates.

Devlin will be available for adoption after January 19th when he is 8 weeks old. He is being fostered in Northern Michigan near Higgins Lake. For addtional information please email: Summerefx@hotmail.com
Carole

Re: Devlin ~ Male Border Collie Mix Puppy

Postby Carole » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:04 pm

12-31-10 004.JPG
12-31-10 004.JPG (81.7 KiB) Viewed 23712 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKUR_QtLO4
Carole

Re: Devlin ~ Male Border Collie Mix Puppy

Postby Carole » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:21 pm

Devlin is doing great, he is such a little love bug! He spends his day's romping with his brother Blaine and trying to keep up with the big dogs. They are very good with puppy's, often laying down on the floor to play with them at their level. Lots of ear and tail tug of war's that the big dog's tolerate for longer then I thought they would.

Devlin's crate is clean every morning and he is doing great on his house-breaking. As long as he is taken out every other hour or so we haven't had any accidents. His favorite toy is still a empty water/pop bottle, he's learned they are more fun on the kitchen floor then on carpet and will stalk and tackle them over and over.

Hopefully I will post new pictures soon, computer issues and cannot get any pictures downloaded. Devlin went to the vet yesterday for his 2nd booster, he is such a handsome boy and his legs have gotten so long! Devlin is ready to find his new forever family to cuddle and romp with :D
Carole

Re: Devlin

Postby Carole » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:59 am

ADOPTED 2/13/2011
Carole

Postby ChristinaB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Dear North Star Border Collie Rescue,

Well, we are officially outnumbered. (A dog in every room. I love it.) We finally we are able to log in to write a little something about our baby Devlin. He is the funniest and funnest dog ever. He is happy and healthy, wild and winning, calm and cute. We will treasure him always. I only wish I would have adopted Blaine at the same time!!! Thank you, Carole (and Mark).

As our second miracle (Nicodemus was the first), magically born the exact week Nica fell ill for the last time, Devlin quickly won our heart and was meant to be with us. I love his "broken" (One up. One down, Reverse. Flip. Repeat.) ears, his solid body, and his beautiful black and white, shiny paint job. He is calculated and seems to care about every intense move he makes. Devlin is a thinker, and seems to be a good listener—on occasion. I've always thought him calculated, even in his earliest videos at Carole's home. (He listens well; except when he is showing off in front of his new baby brother, Enzo (Elvis). Maybe he is getting into "that stage" or something, but boy has he challenged us this month! Still a good puppy, but sometimes "bad in good company", if you know what I mean.

Devlin is keen on the task at hand, he crouches into position and awaits his turn for the throw. His eyes are glued and the bottom jaw trembles with excitement. At the very sight of his bright orange ball launcher, he tenses up in anticipation. He does not get distracted with other goofy, clunky dogs (or people) pestering him at the dog park. He is on point. He is there to do his job, and you best let him do it. He waits for that darn ball constantly. He gets up at 5am to potty, he looks for his ball. He goes to poop, he holds on to it and watches me. He has 2 "house" balls, and 1 that remains in the car for the "puppy park." In Devlin's world, it goes: 1. Ball 2. God 3. Frozen liver snacks.

In fact, Devlin is always busy. He loves to push the Staples "easy" button (randomly now), he is obsessed with HIS dimpled purple/white ball collection (the typical green tennis ball is now amateur), and he weaves strategically in and around my feet by hand commands. And likes to dance and give bear hugs. I hope he learns his way on a sheep farm or in a freestyle stage one day soon, because he is good at being his breed; the breed that we all have come to know and love. :-)

Devlin enjoys the water, just like "Jordan." (What about Katie or Blaine? The other babies??) I believe he will do very well at the beach, swimming or blowing bubbles. I cannot wait to travel to the west side of the state to see him splash in the waves! In the interim, he plops in his small blue pool in the backyard. Or he jumps into the sloppy mud, just to be funny and get a "raz" out of me. Covered from head to toe this past Friday, this handsome black and white smooth coat Border Collie was completely black with soil! Then it dried, and he had a gray face and legs. But, he sure did smile a lot when he saw me looking at him with one eyebrow lifted. It could have been my imagination, but he did appear softer that evening.

This (big) little guy has lots and lots of exercise. And more and more activity by the day. He likes to go to the dog park. He likes to run and walk, and has pretty decent recall. In fact, many people were impressed with his behavior in puppy class. He does well at the self dog wash, smells good like "Sugar Plum", and considers the blow dryer a chance to relax. Well ok, he's not perfect...he not only took a bite out of my only white sofa bed—he grabbed for a complete submarine sandwich size chunk a month ago. Oh well, who needs a couch anyhow?!

Keep watching for Devlin—and come back and visit—as he is getting as large as "Clifford the Big Red Dog." Especially next to Enzo! Don't you think? (See photos.) We are busy writing our stories and working, but we will stay in touch. As per my earlier email, Devlin found a look alike in Colorado, and he was featured on "Wordless Wednesday" on an award winning pet blog.

When you have a minute, take a peek:
http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1NfqlB/ch ... lost-twin/

Until we see each other again, please consider following "@nica_knows" on Twitter and "Like" his page on Facebook, where both Devlin and Enzo will play an integral role in the story and future book(s)... Our web and blog sites will also be something to read, and we would like the North Star family to be involved in all the excitement when the book is released and promoted.

We have room in our hearts and home for more fosters...and would be happy to volunteer as available. In fact, we own 5 crates, one of which is 10' x 6' and is nicely set up to play in the basement.

Wags,
Christina, Azella, Devlin, Enzo (+Nicodemus RIP)
Attachments
IMG_1510_sm.jpg
again
IMG_1510_sm.jpg (84.48 KiB) Viewed 23482 times
IMG_1522_sm.jpg
that was easy
IMG_1522_sm.jpg (88.26 KiB) Viewed 23482 times
IMG_1580_sm.jpg
perspective
IMG_1580_sm.jpg (79.33 KiB) Viewed 23482 times
ChristinaB

Postby ChristinaB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Stay tuned for video clips...can we attach them?!
Attachments
IMG_1495_sm.jpg
happy mutt march day 2011
IMG_1495_sm.jpg (131.79 KiB) Viewed 23482 times
ChristinaB

Re: Devlin (Fierce Courage)

Postby ChristinaB » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:44 pm

Hi all!

Everyone that sees Devlin in action is so impressed, if not envious at his recall and ability to understand on cue. His capacity to listen is astonishing, as is his obsession with his purple and white ball. We could wake up at 4am to take out Enzo (Elvis)—our latest addition—and Devlin stands alert and ready. With this purple and white ball dangling out of his mouth like an over-sized pacifier, he stares me down with hopeful eyes for the slim chance that it is once again, ball time.

As intense as he is, I have never met such a character who is so especially sweet to me! If a dog could "care", it would be Devlin. He shares his space, toys, and food with everyone. He even looks worried for me if I sneeze and always watches over his roommates with a careful eye. :P I saw this quality in him the moment I watched the adoption video online. His "paint job" stole the show, but his calculated integrity stole my heart immediately.

Everyday we love Devlin that much more. He is a "kind" dog and often kisses Azella's ears for no good reason, other than seemingly true affection. He loves to rough house with Enzo, yet settles in nicely when it is time to rest. He literally drops down when there is no more energy left (ha) and sleeps very hard and heavy. Devlin's vocabulary consists of bring it, drop it, leave it, and take it. Along with sit, down, wait, and stay, he knows how to weave in a figure eight around my ankles and can travel through the agility tunnel—if his ball is part of the action.

Devlin is solid and shiny. He has a good appetite and he is very huggable. Evidently, he does well at the groomers (first time this month), as he received many compliments for his patience and good manners. When I give him a bath, he relishes in the attention and the massages, and he awaits his turn under the dryer; calm and nice. Devlin's legs are super long; much longer than mine! (LOL) He is tall and proud. Devlin has become such a handsome creature from such an adorable pup. You will not believe his evolution! His back end has gained so much muscle as a result of repeatedly crouching low to the ground in anticipation of the ball being launched. He pretends to sit, but holds a squat for several seconds, so you can imagine how very tight and powerful his legs have developed.

Devlin is a working dog and remains on point in his lessons. He could care less if another clumsy dog circles around him when he is at "work." The dogs find him most curious, as he pays them no mind. The humans think of him as 'smart', but I see more in him than just intelligence—I see him as amusing, attentive, and alert. He is learning how to listen closely in order to please me. He is consistently determined, and lives to offer me a good catch (or 3) after the ball. But he will ONLY retrieve HIS ball. He stares it down when I put it up to his nose. He cannot wait to pounce on it. This purple and white ball ($5.99 Walgreens—you won't go wrong) has made all the other play items pale in comparison. According to Devlin, all the other toys are for beginners. With this particular ball, he means business and keeps himself very busy looking for it if he loses sight of it. If I spell the word, B.A.L.L., he knows what's coming—or going.

I look forward to advancing his training, as his ability has escalated to a very high level. I will enjoy taking him to farms, lakes, and freestyle canine classes in the future. I think of myself as very fortunate, and I will always love and care for my boy, Devlin. Devlin is a special dog, and will play a significant role in our book.

Please let us know how all his siblings are doing, as well as his Momma Katie. I would love to see their photos and hear more about their stories. Our door—or backyard playground—is always open to his family.

Warmly,
Christine, Azella, Devlin, Enzo (+Nicodemus R.I.P.)

We appreciate your friend and follow. Please 'Like' and 'Follow' for book updates...THANK YOU!

http://www.twitter.com/nica_knows
http://www.tinyurl.com/LIKE-nica
http://www.brilliant-orange.com/nica_knows
Attachments
IMG_1541_sm.jpg
Ready, Set, Ball
IMG_1541_sm.jpg (118.2 KiB) Viewed 23438 times
ChristinaB

Re: Devlin; mud, love, and laughter

Postby ChristinaB » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:05 am

Tomorrow morning Devlin will attend his advanced training class. I think he is going to be a good therapy dog and may be wonderful onsite for our future book signings. This sleek black and white dog is very special to us. If I had to define a pup that was polite, it would be Devlin. He allows his new baby brother, Enzo to play rough on him, he shares his beloved ball with other dogs at the park, he accepts doggy humps graciously from Azella, and seems to seek into my soul when he listens to me. Everybody loves Devlin. He is like a big huggable bear that you can't help but adore.

Today, to top off a perfect morning of chasing his 'bow' at the dog park, Devlin suddenly celebrated his success and plopped in the mud and smiled at me. So much for 'adorable.' This celebration was not as exciting for me as it was for my Border Collie. You see, he just had a bath and buff at PetSmart last Friday. He smelled great and his coat was so silky. But, despite his dip in the mud, he accepted the towel wipe down once again—as if it is part of the routine—and he remains as soft as ever. People comment how shiny his coat is. Yes, he has a terrific diet plan in place, but I believe it is the occasional sloppy mud bath that he indulges in, that allows his pelt to be brilliant.

Devlin loves to be challenged and seemingly thinks about every move he makes. I cannot wait to take him to a farm with sheep, as his gaze is very intense and he stays on point with his target and/or task. He has developed into quite a solid dog, and though his legs are long and lean, he is not so light on his feet when it comes to lifting him into our buggy. He runs well, but retrieves even better. I have never had a dog so dedicated to a ball! As always, he favors his purple and white one and the mere mention of the word "ball" keeps him guessing. He is so busy searching for it that nothing else matters until he finds it. In fact, the world around him seems to disappear until he finds that ball.

At end of a long dog day, he drops heavy in bed from all his hard work. Devlin is a tough one to move once his head hits the pillow. But, the alarm clock will ring at 5 am and he already has his ball in his mouth. He waits for me at the door to start the entire process all over again. If Devlin is not pushing the Staples "easy" button, he is looking for his ball. He is a busy boy.

Thank you for Devlin—our North Star miracle. He is in good hands and we will continue to update you on his progress and playfulness.

Wags and whistles,
Christina, Azella, Enzo (+Nicodemus R.I.P.)

Nica Knows:
http://www.twitter.com/nica_knows
http://www.tinyurl.com/LIKE-nica
http://www.brilliant-orange.com/nica_knows
ChristinaB

Postby ChristinaB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:07 am

Ball.

Devlin is obsessed with this purple and white toy. That's it, we're writing the company...:-) This smooth coat Border Collie is an excellent thinker, and a beautiful addition to our pack. ;)

—Christina, Zel, Dev, Enz, (+Nica R.I.P.)
Attachments
IMG_1726_sm.jpg
"Drop it" comes next...eventually. Only when he is ready to part with his ball.
IMG_1726_sm.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 23402 times
ChristinaB

Postby ChristinaB » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:14 am

Just in case you find it hard to believe...

http://gallery.me.com/vc3#100862&view=carouseljs&sel=0

:P :D :lol:

Enjoy!
ChristinaB

Next

Return to Happy Tails!